A recent federal immigration enforcement operation in Los Angeles has sparked public concern and political reaction, after agents from multiple agencies appeared at MacArthur Park in a high-profile deployment.
On Monday, personnel from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and additional federal units conducted an enforcement action at the park. Officials were seen on foot, horseback, and in vehicles, prompting questions from community members and local leaders.
Mayor Karen Bass, who had been scheduled to meet with Governor Gavin Newsom earlier in the day, arrived on site and expressed concern about the scale of the operation. Speaking to reporters, Bass described the event as “deeply unsettling” and said she had requested that federal personnel leave the area.
“This is not the kind of scene Angelenos should see in our public parks,” Bass said. “Our priority is to keep our neighborhoods safe and peaceful.”
Bass said she spoke directly with a CBP official on-site and expressed her objections to the ongoing operation. Shortly afterward, some units began to clear the area. However, federal officials later stated that operations in Los Angeles are ongoing.
Continue reading on next page…